The history of SS Delphine
The story begins in April 1921 in River Rouge (near Detroit, Michigan, USA), where the Great Lakes Engineering Works site had the honor of launching the Delphine for automotive tycoon Horace Dodge.
At the time, it had the highest tonnage in the United States.
SS Delphine was renovated after a fire in1926. In 1942 this steam-powered ship was requisitioned by the army and christened the USS Dauntless. After the war it was returned to the Dodge family, who sold her on not long afterwards.
From 1997 Delphine underwent a five year restoration in Bruges (Belgium) by her then owner, a Belgian businessman who invested 45 million euros to bring SS Delphine back to her original configuration of 1921, including the interior designs and steam engines.
His daughter Ineke Bruynooghe, an esteemed art historian, wrote and published the book SS DELPHINE through meticulous research during the restoration.
It was in September 2003 that the SS Delphine was re-christened by H.S.H. Princess Stephanie de Monaco…
After a few years being moored in Portugal, the current owner from Monaco purchased SS Delphine in 2015 and started the next chapter of this beautiful Steam Ship to allow for a very limited and select charter operation in the Mediterranean.